I had a moment a few days ago where I felt like I didn’t know what to do. I had worked so hard, for basically my entier life, trying to get into medical school and I was finally there. Major life goal completed. So I sat there and wondered, “What next?” I don’t know if anyone else felt like that after getting in, or maybe it was just me.
Anyway, I decided that I would make a list of goals, both short term, ongoing, and long term, that I wanted to complete during my undergraduate medical education.
- obtain leadership position in at least 2 organizations
- obtain a mentor
- get to know at least 1 faculty member each year
- be in the top 10% of my class (who says you can’t reach for the stars!)
- becoming awesome at time management
- become better in tune with myself
- make sure to have time for my family
That’s what I’ve go thus far. I think this list will prove useful as a guide to things I should do over the next for years.
***UPDATE: As of 8/19, I was selected to be on the Academic Sub-Committee. 1 leadership position down, 1 more to go! Also, I have made an appointment with my faculty advisor to look into getting a mentor, so another goal near completion.